Political news , opinions and views for 2010 Presidential election

March 5, 2010

Body Talk with Gibo

FUNFARE By Ricardo F. Lo (The Philippine Star)
http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=555051

With his mucho-macho looks, Gilberto Eduardo Cojuangco “Gibo” Teodoro, the administration’s presidential bet (with Edu Manzano as running mate), would be perfect as an action star (not a “bold” star) if he joined the movies. No wonder people react to him on the campaign trail the way they do to a movie star.

When he came to The STAR office last Monday for his turn on the “hot seat” for the series on presidentiables (to help voters make an informed choice in the May 10 elections), Gibo was mobbed by his fans as he hopped from one department to another, greeting the employees and posing for photographs.

His credentials are impressive: He finished elementary and high school at Xavier School, BS Commerce (major in Financial Institutions) from De La Salle University in 1984, Bachelor of Laws at UP in 1989 (and topped the bar exams), and a Master of Laws at Harvard Law School in 1997.

An only child (of the late Social Security System administrator Gilberto Teodoro Sr. and ex-Tarlac Rep. Mercedes Cojuangco Teodoro), Gibo was born on June 14, 1964. He’s married to former model and now Tarlac Rep. Monica “Nikki” Prieto Teodoro with whom he has a son, Jaime Gilberto, 11.

Do you have a temper?

“Oh, of course, everybody has a temper.”

What makes you angry?

“Incompetence, laziness, tardiness at ‘yung nanglalamang (putting one over somebody).”

How do you unwind?

“I spend quality time with my family...just enjoying each other’s company and cooking.”

How do you divide your time between work and family?


“The division is uneven now. The family gets whatever time is left from the campaign.”

When did you have your last executive check-up?

“Last year, I suppose.”

Are you taking any medication?

“Yes, Norvasc for hypertension and medicine for my blood sugar.” (Note: His blood pressure reading during the “grilling” was 130/90, checked by STAR health columnist Dr. Willy Ong. One hour after taking medication, it went back to normal, 120/80.)

What about vitamins?

“Multivitamins.”

What kind of diet do you follow?

“High protein, low carb.”

What’s usually for breakfast, lunch and dinner?


“Breakfast, lunch and dinner are usually high protein, like bangus, a serving of vegetables.”

Snacks between meals?

“No snacks.”

Do you work out?

“Right now, I do breathing exercises and calesthenics.”

Do you catch your breath while going up the stairs (like the four flights from the ground floor of The STAR building in Port Area to the fourth floor where the “grilling” was done)?

“No, I don’t. I did not. When I was holding office at the DND (Department of National Defense of which he’s the former secretary), I used to walk up to the third floor almost every day.”

Any part of your body that needs some improvement?

“Well, the waist and the forehead.”

Have you had botox treatment?

“No, never.”

How do you cope with stress?

“To me, you just have to realize how much you can do. Sometimes, you know, it happens to everybody that to internalize stress you have to have an outlet.”

How much sleep do you get per night?

“It’s erratic. Sometimes, I get seven hours, but normally only four hours.”

Favorite sleep wear?

“Short pants and T-shirt.”

Do you snore?

“I do.”

Doesn’t it bother Nikki?

“Once in a while it does. But these days, I’m very quiet.”

Do you talk in your sleep?

“No.”

Do you sleepwalk?

“No.” (Adds with a laugh) “And I don’t bedwet either.”

What’s the last thing that you do before you go to sleep?


“I pray.”

Do you watch pirated DVDs?


“No, I don’t.”

What was the last movie that you saw?

“I can’t remember...Wait, it was a Michael Douglas film. No, the last one that I watched was a Wesley Snipes movie, set in the Middle East. I forgot what the title is. He plays a man who sees his father die in an explosion; after several years, naging jihad siya...’yon pala, double agent siya because he was trained by the special forces.”

And the first thing that you do when you wake up?

“Have a cup of coffee while reading the papers.”

Not go to the bathroom?

“Well, if I need to...for the morning rituals. And then I get ready for work.”

What’s your outlook in life? Are you a worrier or an optimist?


“I am a worrier most of the time. I’m optimistic about things but getting there, I worry a lot.”

How’s your sex life?

“That is an area of privacy which cannot be ‘invaded’.”

What do you like most about yourself?

“I’m adaptable.”

And what don’t you like most about yourself?

“My thinning hairline, like Jimmy Laude (STAR reporter).”

Are you gullible, a sucker for sob stories?

Yes...yes, I am.”

Do you cry over a movie?

“Yes, I do. I cried over that movie about female baseball players growing old. How could you not cry when Richard Burton goes to the school to report a death? I could relate to that scene because that was one of the hardest things that I had to do as secretary of DND. On my first week on the job, I had to go to a biyuda to tell her husband had died. Hindi puedeng hindi tumulo ang luha mo. Even the most hardened soldier would cry. That was in Zamboanga.”

Do you watch Filipino films?

“Yes, the old ones. You know, I’ve been looking for a copy of the original Kalabog En Bosyo.”

How do you pray and how often do you do it?

“I pray every day.”

Favorite saint?

“St. Jude (Thaddeus, Patron of the Hopeless).”

Any role model?

“I don’t have a role model but I look up to people who have distinguished themselves, people I learn lessons from.”

If you were an animal, what would you be?

“A dragon. Why? Because I was born in The Year of the Dragon.”

If your life story were made into a movie, who would play Gibo Teodoro?

“That’s a hard question. Yes, si Gerald Anderson who I have worked with or a choice between...No, I’ll just give the qualities of the actor: Thick hair, good-looking, tall, intelligent and must have six-pack abs that I wish I had.”

And how many leading ladies would there be?

“Only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment