Political news , opinions and views for 2010 Presidential election

March 6, 2010

Estrada: I never tried to buy off my rivals

from The Daily Tribune
http://www.tribune.net.ph/headlines/20100306hed5.html


Sen. Manny Villar is trying to buy his way into the presidency, and that is a danger signal that the electorate must take into account when they go to the polls in May.

In a press statement sent to media outlets yesterday, former President Joseph Estrada chided Villar for making an attempt to bribe Sen. Juan Ponce Enrile and Sen. Richard Gordon, one after the other.

“The term bribery attempt may be harsh, but I have no other way to put it,” Estrada said. “In any case, it has never occurred to me to buy off my political opponents, not now and certainly not in 1998, when I first made my successful run for the presidency.”

He said the voters should be given the biggest possible number of candidates to choose from.

The former president noted that of all candidates seeking the highest office of the land, Villar has the biggest war chest. He cited a study made by AG Nielsen, which shows that the real estate mogul spent more than P120 million on radio and TV advertising in a two-month period, from Feb. 9 to March 2.

AG Nielsen tracks media expenses of product brands and, in this election season, of candidates.

“The media expense does not bother me at all,” Estrada said. “What I am concerned about is the pattern of behavior Manny Villar has been displaying lately.”

It was disclosed by Gordon that Villar had offered him a sizable amount of money in exchange for his withdrawal from the presidential race. Earlier, in a speech on the Senate floor, Enrile said that Villar intimated there was money for him if he would exonerate him in the C5 mess.

“If the charges are true, then I can only conclude that Senator Villar has a terrible character defect, which makes him unfit to lead this country,” Estrada said.

Meanwhile, in Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Estrada was surprised at the huge crowd that attended Thursday night’s rally here.

“I was really surprised. I have no political leader here and this was not a rent a crowd thing which is why I was surprised and I thank my countrymen in Bohol who know what had happened to me, Maybe they are sympathizing with me, and know that I am innocent of the charges of plunder,” he said.

In assessing the PMP campaign in the Visayas, Estrada said that the response of the people to their visit was giving them a better chance in the coming elections even as he admitted that the PMP is weakest in the region.

“The reason we are here is that this is our weakest region. This is why I am concentrating my campaign here in the Visayas.

Also, inspired by the success story of Estrada, a popular actor who became Philippine president, action star Cesar Montano has jumped to the ticket of Pwersa ng Masang Pilipino (PMP) and will run for governor of Bohol.

Montano was a Liberal Party bet for the Bohol governorship.

Montano’s decision to run under the PMP ticket is another plus in Estrada’s presidential campaign.

Estrada welcomed Montano’s decision to join him in the ticket.

“I’ve known Cesar for a long time. Like me, he has a soft heart for the poor. He will be an asset to his home province,” said Estrada who held a sortie in Bohol on Thursday.

Montano praised Estrada for giving him the chance to be with the PMP. “I have a deep respect for him and I am truly honored to run under PMP.”

Estrada said Montano’s decision to join him will further boost the overwhelming support he is getting from all sectors especially from the poor.

“No candidate knows the poor better than I. My presidential candidacy is a product of their clamor to give them a better life and I assured them that I will give them all my best,” Estrada said.

Montano lost his senatorial bid in the 2007 elections under the Team Unity Coalition.

Montano is a staunch supporter of the preservation of the province’s cultural heritage and environment.

“Bohol has a rich cultural history and beautiful scenic spots. What we need is to preserve them for the future generation,” he said.

In 2005, he was named as Philippine commissioner of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Unesco) for his advocacy.

Montano is also an award-winning actor not only here but also abroad. He portrayed national hero Jose Rizal in the award-winning movie of the same title.

He was named best actor in the Brussels International Film Festival for his film Panaghoy sa Suba which was filmed entirely in Bohol. Gerry Baldo and Jason Faustino

No comments:

Post a Comment